Monday, December 18, 2006

The Poison of Gift Cards

Americans annually spend close to $50 billion on gift cards. During the 'holiday' season alone, they are likely to spend around $20 billion. Similar nations have comparable statistics. Last year, $1 billion of gift cards were never redeemed. That means the American people charitably donate $1 billion to its largest corporations - to those who seek to entrap us in consumerism. To the worship of Mammon that our culture is so driven to.

Not only that, gift cards are effectively an interest-free loan for these corporations. They're earning large amounts of interest off that little plastic card. They're also encouraging people to go out and shop more, encouraging consumerism, and forcing people to buy things they don't really need. Really, don't we all already have enough of those things?

If you must give gifts (because I'm sure none of your friends really need them), and if you don't have the creativity to make a gift, at least have the imagination to buy a real gift for them. Show your friends that you've thought about them and have taken the risk to buy something for them that they may or may not like.

Suffice it to say, I will not be accepting any gift cards from people this year. If you give me one, I will return it. Not because I'm ungrateful, but because I refuse to participate in your worship of Mammon. Enough children have already been sacrificed.

Read more: "The best insult money can buy"

5 comments:

  1. You may offend more people than it's worth, Stu. Although, I suppose if people really know you, they'll know that you wouldn't appreciate a gift (or at least a gift card) anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there. i commented. twice.
    :)
    return the favour, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may offend, but people need to know how stupid gift cards are. I'll take that hit (and take an ethical stand). Of course, I'll try to refuse it in as polite a way as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To avoid offending people, you could just take the gift card and then give it to me.
    I love Mammon. I'm surprised that you don't, being a Christian-Pagan and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, if it really would be awkward to refuse it, I may just do that Chris.
    Are you gonna sacrifice your children (and your friends children) to Mammon as he demands?
    Paganism can dis/like whoever it wants. :)

    ReplyDelete